Thursday, July 24, 2008

Eclipse 3.4 Ganymede + Subclipse on Ubuntu 8.04

I recently upgraded my eclipse installation on my Ubuntu laptop to 3.4 Well, Ubuntu 8.04 still carries eclipse 3.2 in its repositories, but you could upgrade to 3.4 by following the steps described here.

Anyways after the upgrade I found that my subclipse plugin doesn't work. Since at work in Terracotta we use eclipse+subversion I couldn't live without subclipse. Searched around the web and found that there are some compatibility issues between eclipse 3.4, subclipse and svn 1.4 which comes with ubuntu 8.04

Long story short, after searching a lot found someone claim that subclipse starts working if you have svn 1.5 installed. Found out that subversion 1.5 is available in Ubuntu Interpid which is in alpha.

These are the steps I followed to get subclipse working in eclipse 3.4 on my ubuntu 8.04

  1. Uninstall the existing subversion 1.4 and all related packages. (libsvn, libsvn-java, subvertion-tools)

  2. Download the following packages from Interpid repository.

      libneon27-gnutls_0.28.2-2_i386.deb
      libsvn1_1.5.0dfsg1-4ubuntu2_i386.deb
      libsvn-java_1.5.0dfsg1-4ubuntu2_i386.deb
      subversion_1.5.0dfsg1-4ubuntu2_i386.deb
      subversion-tools_1.5.0dfsg1-4ubuntu2_all.deb
  3. Install the downloaded packages by issuing the following command.
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Viola, subclipse started working with eclipse 3.4 and I am a happy man again ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment